It’s easy to forget about maintaining your asphalt shingles. After all, they’re designed to last for decades with little to no required upkeep. However, that doesn’t mean you should neglect them entirely. Neglecting your asphalt shingles could end worse than you think, by having leaks, moss growth, damages shingles, and much more. If you’ve neglected the asphalt shingles on your home’s roof for awhile, then consider contacting us at Roofing Dearborn to schedule an appointment to have your roof professionally inspected.
Here are a few reasons why you shouldn’t neglect maintenance for your asphalt shingles:
You might not think that asphalt shingles need much maintenance, but neglecting them can lead to big problems down the road. Asphalt shingles are one of the most popular roofing materials for homes and businesses, but they can be prone to damage from weather, wind, and UV rays. Neglecting to properly maintain your asphalt shingles can shorten their lifespan and lead to costly repairs.
1. Asphalt shingles can deteriorate over time: Asphalt shingles are made of a composite material that can break down over time due to exposure to the elements. UV rays from the sun can cause the asphalt to become brittle, while wind and rain can damage the granules on the surface of the shingles. Over time, this deterioration can lead to leaks and other problems with your roof.
2. Asphalt shingles need to be cleaned regularly: Dirt, debris, and leaves can collect on the surface of asphalt shingles, which can cause them to deteriorate faster. It’s important to clean your shingles regularly to remove any buildup that could speed up the aging process. This can also cause problems to your home’s gutters, so keeping your home’s roof clean can also help prevent gutter issues in the future as well.
3. Asphalt shingles should be inspected annually: Even if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with your asphalt shingles, it’s important to have them inspected by a professional at least once a year. This will help you catch any problems early on so they can be fixed before they cause serious damage.
4. Asphalt shingles need to be repaired or replaced as needed: If you do find damage to your asphalt shingles, it’s important to have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Ignoring the problem will only make it worse and could lead to expensive repairs down the road.
5. Proper maintenance can help prevent costly repairs: By taking care of your asphalt shingles and having them inspected regularly, you can avoid costly repairs down the road. Catching problems early on can save you money in the long run, so it’s worth taking the time to properly maintain your shingles.
6. Asphalt shingles can last for 20 years or more: With proper care and maintenance, asphalt shingles can last for 20 years or more. This makes them a wise investment for your home or business.
7. Asphalt shingles add curb appeal: Not only do asphalt shingles protect your property, but they also add curb appeal. A well-maintained roof can make your home or business more attractive to potential buyers and help you get top dollar if you ever decide to sell.
8. Asphalt shingles are low maintenance: Asphalt shingles are one of the easiest roofing materials to take care of. They don’t require much maintenance beyond regular cleaning and inspection, so you can rest assured that your roof will be in good condition for many years to come as long as you don’t neglect it entirely.
As you can see, there are many reasons why you shouldn’t neglect maintenance for your asphalt shingles. By taking the time to properly care for your shingles, you can avoid costly repairs and extend their lifespan. However if you decide to neglect your home’s roof then you could face a lot of problems in the future, some that could be a danger to not only your home, but also your family.
Maintaining your asphalt shingles might seem like a lot of work, but it’s worth it to keep your roof in good condition. Neglecting maintenance can shorten the lifespan of your shingles and lead to costly repairs. If you’re not sure how to properly maintain your shingles, contact a roofing contractor like Roofing Dearborn today for help. A professional roofing inspection could help limit down the damages that your home’s roof may be suffering from.